Top 5 Features Your Legal Hold Software Should Have
Legal hold software is a modern essential for implementing a legal hold or litigation hold. As corporate legal matters and litigation landscapes become more complex, traditional ways of executing a hold can’t keep pace.
A legal hold is a legal mandate to inform all parties and potential evidence custodians that litigation is imminent or anticipated of the need to preserve potentially relevant information that paper documents and electronically stored information (ESI) must not be altered or deleted.
Implementing an automated legal hold software solution is more necessary now than ever: failure to comply or enforce appropriate legal hold procedures can result in dire legal consequences and fines. And tracking all the notices and responses across your organization can be tedious, even without the added burden of managing custodians who are working remotely.
For this reason, legal or litigation hold software has become a must-have for organizations aiming to improve efficiency and ensure compliance when carrying out legal holds.
But what is legal hold software?
An effective legal or litigation hold software solution will manage the legal hold process from end-to-end, while automatically protecting critical data. Litigation hold software solutions are put in place to save teams from outdated and labor-intensive processes for tracking and organizing corporate data during a litigation hold.
In the case of Acuity ELM Essentials, we address these needs by integrating with LegalHold, one of the most powerful solutions around, offering a quick and cost-effective way to improve and/or automate your workflows.
If you’re contemplating a software solution to make legal hold management easier, while ensuring that you’re fulfilling your responsibilities and documenting everything along the way, what are the features you should look for?
The five key features to look for in legal or litigation hold software:
- NOTIFICATIONS: Notification management and tracking across the entire legal hold process.
- REMINDERS: Configurable automatic reminders of legal hold obligations and automatic escalations in the event of no-responses, ensuring instructions are communicated to the right custodians while also improving compliance.
- TRACKING HISTORY: A full audit tracking the history of all legal hold activity.
- TEMPLATES: A template library of standardized notices you can reuse to ensure reliable, repeatable processes.
- CUSTODIAN DATABASE: Accessible profiles and history for all custodians and potential custodians in a centralized location.
With the right solution, handling the complexities and risk involved in this essential part of the litigation and claims process becomes much simpler. Which, in turn, can help in obtaining better outcomes.